Strong Camp Summer Fellowship
Applications for the 2014 Strong Camp Summer Fellowship are now open!
Full Circles Foundation is dedicated to growing strong girls, a fair economy, and a healthy earth in the Southeastern United States. Strong Camp is the cornerstone of our programmatic continuum. It is a six-week long summer camp experience with both day and residential components that explores the connections between personal, community, and environmental health. You can read more about Strong Camp here.
As a Strong Camp Summer Fellow, you will work with girls ages 4 to 17. Responsibilities fall into two main categories:
- Programmatic responsibilities: Developing and implementing high-quality curriculum – empowering girls and young women…and yourself!
- Development responsibilities: Summer Fellows will help organize camp logistics, do communications and partnership outreach, and have substantial fundraising/resource-generation responsibilities.
This a full-time, immersive experience – probably more than 40 hours per week. This position is supported by need-based stipends, so it will not be lucrative financially. If you want to build your entrepreneurial/leadership/change-making skills, plug into a wonderful community, work with children and youth, and advance “strong girls, a fair economy and a healthy earth,” this is the summer experience for you!
To learn more about the position, read on below and check out the relevant handbook.
FOR RALEIGH APPLICANTS: Priority applications are due by Friday, February 14, 2014, at midnight. Please see the Raleigh Summer Fellow Applicant Handbook for instructions.
The first round of interviews will be held by telephone between Monday, February 24 and Friday, February 28. Finalists participate in in-person interviews on either Friday, March 7, or Saturday, March 8.
Finalists will be notified of their selection/deferral by Friday, March 21. We will, however, continue accepting applications until all positions are filled. Additionally, FCF reserves the right to interview/accept outstanding applicants in advance of these dates.
FOR LEXINGTON APPLICANTS: Coming soon.
For questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
FCF prioritizes providing an enriching, transformative experience for our Summer Fellows. Here is what we will provide our Summer Fellows:
- Social entrepreneurship, resource-generation, and media training.
- Group facilitation and teaching skills development.
- An exploration of how girls’ empowerment, environmental sustainability and economic justice are all connected.
- Relationship building – within FCF and with allied organizations.
- An opportunity to have a significant impact in our young and growing organization – you are not a cog in the wheel, you are helping us build FCF!
- In short, a summer experience like none other.
FCF is a very lateral, democratic organization. While there are camp directors, most decisions are made collectively and Summer Fellows are expected to pro-actively shape the Strong Camp experience, rather than merely executing the vision of a “boss.” Qualifications for Summer Fellows are as follows:
- Scrappy! Determined! Idealistic! Willing to take ownership of Strong Camp.
- Experience/background in education and/or mentoring of children K-12.
- Experience/background in one of Strong Camp’s topical areas (personal health and wellness, community empowerment, environmental literacy).
- Strong written and verbal communications skills.
- Experience/background in fundraising, communications, community organizing, and/or advocacy.
- Demonstrated ability to work as a self-starting member of a team and to handle projects independently.
- Good time management skills and ability to effectively work on multiple projects, in a fast-paced, high-pressure environment.
- Ability to communicate and interact comfortably and effectively with a diverse community.
- Passionate about and committed to women’s empowerment and economic & environmental justice.
- We want someone who is serious about having fun!
- RALEIGH: Availability from June 2 through August 6, 2014 (full-time M-F) including some availability on weekends.
- LEXINGTON: Availability TBA
Full Circles Foundation works to build an instruction team that reflects the experiences and identities of our participants and that is committed to consensus and anti-oppression principles.